Cavalier King Charles Spaniel History
- The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is an active, graceful, well-balanced toy spaniel, very gay and free in action, fearless and sporting in character, yet at the same time gentle and affectionate. It is this typical gay temperament combined with true elegance and royal appearance which are of paramount importance in the breed. Gay, friendly, non-aggressive with no tendency toward nervousness or shyness make the Cavalier an ideal pet for everyone.
- Cavaliers are not kennel dogs. Because of four hundred years of close contact with their owners, and their development as lap dogs, they make wonderful companions. They are happy, outgoing, loving little dogs who want to love you and be loved, and to run and play in a safe place. They get along well with children, cats and other dogs.
- The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is descended from the small Toy Spaniels seen in many of the sixteenth through eighteenth century paintings by VanDyck and Gainsborough. These paintings show small spaniels with flat heads, high set ears, almond eyes, and pointed noses. Cavaliers were quite common as ladies pets but it was under the Stuarts that they were given the title of 'King Charles Spaniels'
- History tells us that King Charles II was seldom without two or three spaniels at his heels. King Charles wrote a decree that King Charles Spaniels should be accepted in any public place even in the Houses of Parliament where animals were not usually allowed. This decree is still in existence today in England.
- We breed all four colors of CKCS -
- Blenheim - Rich chestnut markings on a white ground with chestnut ears and a white blaze between the eyes
- Tricolor - Jet black markings well broken up on a white ground with black ears, a white blaze between the eyes, and tan markings over the eyes, on cheeks and inside ears.
- Black and Tan - Jet black with bright tan markings over the eyes, on cheeks, inside ears, on chest, legs and on underside of tail.
- Ruby - Whole-colored rich red.
Black & Tan Puppy
- Some of our parents are championship quality and have been shown in local AKC sponsored events. One of our Tricolor Males has won four ribbons !!
- We are members of the Cavalier Health Foundation
- For more information on our Cavaliers, call (336) 365-8114 or e-mail us at email@example.com
- To view puppies available check out our Available Puppies Page